Thursday, November 22, 2012

Chapter 5 (e)


Sumomo: "We separated briefly after that. Hitomi and I went ahead to our classroom."

Meito: "I stayed behind to check Andou's bicycle. In the end we decided to bring it to the lab, so we could work on it later."

Erika: "But you didn't."

Meito: "Not my fault..."

Sumomo: "Once we arrived at our classroom, Hitomi looked through the window, and after a while she witnessed them going to the do-it-yourself club."

Erika: "Jealous?"

Meito: "Nah... she just spied on me so she could tease me later, which she did..."

Erika: "Nothing else happened while the two of you were alone, Takamiya?"

Sumomo: "We weren't really alone, most of our classmates were already there..."

Meito: "I managed to rejoin them just in time, before Nagaoka-sensei arrived. Then homeroom started, and after that, it was just the usual boring stuff, until lunch break."

Sumomo: "That's when Hibari-san barged in our classroom."

Meito: "Ah, I remember that..."

This is yet another particular that I missed.

Erika: "Who was she looking for? Gotsuji?"

Meito: "Who else? She wanted to remind her that that day they were supposed to have some kind of special training for whatever reason."

Erika: "And Gotsuji had forgotten about that?"

Meito: "Typical of her. An argument ensued because she didn't want to train until that late, even though it was already decided."

Erika: "Hibari wanted to train until 6:00 pm, but Gotsuji wanted to end it 15 minutes earlier. Why?"

Meito: "Who knows..."

Sumomo: "I guess... she needed to meet someone..."

Erika: "That's right, she needed to meet someone at exactly 6:00 pm. And we all know where she was supposed to meet that someone at, right?"

Meito: "I don't understand. Why did she need to meet someone by that place? Why didn't she tell anyone?"

Erika: "Wasn't it because she wanted it to be a secret?"

Meito: "I just don't understand. What kind of secret was she trying to protect? She's always been the kind of person that would tell you everything straight, and she wasn't ashamed of anything."

Erika: "I think there's a lot that she hid from you, Oda. Don't you think so, Takamiya?"

Sumomo: "..."

Meito: "That can't be."

Sumomo: "I think... Furudo-san is probably right..."

Meito: "What... kh... I don't get it... I don't get this at all!"

Erika: "I already know what happened after Hibari left. You ate lunch together, and then there was that incident with Baba. Am I missing anything?"

Sumomo: "Hmmm..."

Meito: "I don't really remember anything strange about Hitomi, no matter how many times I relive that day in my mind."

Sumomo: "I've told you about lunch..."

Meito: "And I've told you what happened after."

Erika: "And after that?"

Meito: "What else is there to tell? We returned to our classrooms for the fifth period. When regular classes ended, each went their separate ways."

Sumomo: "That was the last time I saw Hitomi-chan..."

Meito: "I wish I could say the same... damn it!"

Erika: "Then, let's try to imagine what could've happened later."

Meito: "How am I supposed to imagine that?"

Erika: "Just do it. You knew Gotsuji, and I know many facts concerning this case. You guys just tell me your theories. I'll tell you when they don't match with facts."

Meito: "This is pointless..."

Erika: "It isn't. Takamiya, would you like to start?"

Takamiya: "Hmmm... When did Hitomi leave the gym?"

Erika: "According to her club members, she ended training at 5:45 pm, and then she went to the changing room with them. We can assume that she stayed there for about 10 or 15 minutes."

Takamiya: "We can't be certain she went directly to the shed..."

Erika: "Slash!"

Takamiya: "Uh?"

Meito: "Slash?"

Erika: "Yeah, slash! You're theory has been slashed! Would you mind to explain why, Dlanor?"

Dlanor: "Miss Hibari testified that she found the victim's message inside her locker very shortly after 6:00 pm. Then she immediately rushed to the abandoned P.E. shed, where she found Miss Gotsuji already dead."

Erika: "Considering this short time span, it's really unlikely that Gotsuji didn't go there directly. Which is why your theory has been slashed!"

Sumomo: "She's acting crazy again..."

Meito: "What the hell is wrong with her?"

Erika: "How rude! Stop questioning my methods!"

Meito: "Why should I even believe what Hibari said? She could be the one who killed Hitomi!"

Erika: "An interesting theory, but consider what we reasoned about earlier. Gotsuji was supposed to meet someone at 6:00 pm, while Hibari wanted her to be still training at that time. So, in other words, she can't be the one that Gotsuji was supposed to meet."

Meito: "Well, okay but... What if Hitomi was doing something wrong in that place and Hibari found out?"

Erika: "That's why I said this is an interesting theory, but that still means Gotsuji went there directly."

Meito: "Well... okay, but how can you be absolutely sure?"

Erika: "It'd be too long to explain, just trust that my deductions are absolutely true. If you really can't, just pretend they are, for now."

Meito: "What the hell is this... a game?"

Erika: "Takamiya, what do you think? Is Hibari a plausible murderer?"

Sumomo: "Hmmm... I don't know... I think Hitomi was really important for Hibari-san... but if she did something wrong against Teramoto-san..."

Erika: "Then you don't exclude this possibility."

She nods quietly.
This is getting pretty fun, I will play a bit with this theory with them.

Erika: "Okay, let's try to define better your Hibari culprit theory."

Meito: "I'm not saying that she must be the culprit..."

Erika: "I know. You really are new to detective work, Oda, aren't you? In theory making you first make assumptions and then you check if they match with the facts."

Meito: "I don't really care about that stuff..."

Erika: "Let's say that Hibari murdered Gotsuji, did she plan it beforehand?"

Sumomo: "Hmmm, that wouldn't make sense..."

Erika: "Correct! Then how did she find where Gotsuji was?"

Meito: "Maybe she became suspicious that Hitomi insisted so much to end her training earlier, so she followed her."

That wouldn't be possible, if she really remained in the gym with Yuu Azuma, but Yuu Azuma could be an accomplice.

Erika: "What about the mysterious person Gotsuji needed to meet?"

Meito: "Maybe Hibari arrived first."

Sumomo: "Hmmm, are we really so sure that Hitomi needed to meet someone there?"

Erika: "Oh, that's an interesting idea. Elaborate."

Sumomo: "It's just a thought but... maybe the shed was her objective, and she wanted to get done before it was too dark."

Erika: "Well that's not bad. It might work, if whatever she was planning to do was something quick. It was already dusk at that time."

Meito: "Wait a moment. Where did that message come from?"

Erika: "There's a possibility that Gotsuji wrote that message for a completely different occasion. Let's just disregard this issue for the time being. Takamiya, please continue."

Sumomo: "Hmmm..."

Meito: "Wait... wait just a moment. This is wrong. Why do we need to imagine the last moments of our friend?"

Erika: "Why not?"

Meito: "Why not? This is simply insane!"

Erika: "There must be a lot of confusion in your mind, Oda. You want to know what happened, but you don't want to think about it. How exactly do you expect to learn the truth, if you're not ready to face its darkest side? Well, it's not like I don't understand you, a long time ago I was also like that, but that's absolutely irrational."

Meito: "I... I know... it's just..."

Erika: "What about you, Takamiya? Don't you want to know what happened? Are you afraid to learn the truth?"

Sumomo: "..."

She takes a few seconds to reflect, her face is like a mask made of stone.

Sumomo: "I'll do it."

Meito: "Hey... are you sure? I've seen what happened there with my eyes already, but you..."

Sumomo: "I'll do it."

Erika: "Good. Imagine the scene within your mind. Gotsuji is in front of the shed, unknowing that Hibari is following her. What next?"

Sumomo: "... Hitomi opens the door... she must've found a way to open it."

Erika: "I see. What is she looking for?"

Sumomo: "I don't know. Something that she isn't supposed to take... or see..."

Erika: "That will suffice for now, we can learn what it is later. But Hibari is watching her."

Sumomo: "She has seen enough. She goes inside the shed as well, and catches Hitomi red-handed."

Erika: "Go on."

Sumomo: "Hibari is very angry, but Hitomi isn't the kind of person that would simply apologize. An argument ensues..."

Meito: "Let's stop this..."

Erika: "Continue."

Sumomo: "Hitomi wants to walk away, but Hibari doesn't want to let her go that easily, she physically prevents her from leaving the shed."

Erika: "In other words they come to blows."

Sumomo: "Hmmm... I don't know who attacks who first."

You are almost there, Takamiya. You are almost there.

Erika: "What happens next?"

Sumomo: "Hibari is very angry, she isn't in her right mind anymore. She takes the nearest object that can be used as a weapon."

Erika: "What is that weapon?"

Meito: "Wouldn't that be the sword?"

Erika: "Slash! Your theory is rejected!"

Meito: "Uh? Why?"

Erika: "What is that weapon, Takamiya? Come on, you should know it!"

Sumomo: "A hammer... I guess..."

Erika: "Correct! The victim was first struck by a hammer! So? Go on! Please, do tell me! What happens next?!"

Sumomo: "Hibari realizes what she has just done. After thinking it over, she decides to tamper with the scene to make it look like the demon did it."

Erika: "Slash!"

Sumomo: "Uh..."

Erika: "Gotsuji is simply lying unconscious on the ground. Sure that was an awful thing, but is that a reason enough to kill her? Hibari isn't risking that much even if what she has just done comes to light."

Sumomo: "She's stupid, so..."

Erika: "Slash!"

Sumomo: "Why?"

Erika: "'The culprit was stupid, that's why she did it!' Are you kidding me? Who's going to accept such a sloppy explanation?"

Meito: "But Hibari is that stupid! Damn... why am I even going along with this?"

Sumomo: "Maybe she thought that Hitomi was already dead..."

Erika: "Well, now that's more acceptable, but still a bit lame."

Meito: "Sumomo... stop this. This is ridiculous. Hibari isn't a murderer. You're getting dragged in that woman's unsavory games."

Erika: "Well, if it isn't a sudden change of heart! You're the one who first said that Hibari might be the culprit!"

Meito: "Shut up!"

Sumomo: "Hmmm..."

Meito: "Sumomo!"

Sumomo: "You're right, Meito-kun... We shouldn't imagine such things without proofs."

Erika: "You're not accusing anyone, you're just using your imagination. Proofs aren't necessary at all!"

Meito: "That's still wrong!"

Erika: "Ha! Ha... ah ha ha ha... Why don't you tell that to all those damn goats..."

Meito: "Huh?! What the hell are you talking about?"

Satsukawa: "There you are!"

The angry cop finally appears. It was bound to happen sooner or later, and I am very glad it happened later. I can say that I am pretty much satisfied at this point.

Satsukawa: "I've been looking for you everywhere!"

Sumomo: "I knew it... she escaped again..."

Meito: "Huh? Again?"

Erika: "What's the matter, Satsukawa-san? I've been here all of this time waiting for you. I wasn't hiding or anything."

Meito: "No... you were definitely hiding..."

Satsukawa: "Just tell me you didn't cause any damage this time..."

Erika: "Like I said, I never moved from here. I was just having a pleasant chat with these two. Right?"

Meito: "Well... it wasn't really pleasant, but everything else is true..."

Sumomo: "Yeah... she didn't do anything particularly strange..."

Satsukawa: "*Sigh*... What about your challenge with Teramoto, Erika? We're already late."

Erika: "Oh, don't be silly! There's still plenty of time! But, whatever, I guess it's time for me to show up."

Satsukawa: "Then let's go... and don't try to escape again!"

Erika: "Where do you think I'll go, anyway? Sorry, it was really entertaining, Oda, Takamiya, but as you can see I must go. I'm going to crush Teramoto and all of her lies under my heel. Her reign of falsehoods and deceits will end today. Aren't you thrilled?"

Meito: "If you can really do that..."

Erika: "I will. That's a certainty!"

Meito: "Then, show no mercy..."

Erika: "Ha ha ha! You don't need to tell me that!"

Sumomo: "Hmmm, I also think that Teramoto must be stopped. I'll be cheering for you. Good luck, Furudo-san."

Erika: "I need no luck, but thank you for your moral support. Just leave it to me. When tomorrow you'll come back, this will be another school. Let's go, Satsukawa-san!"

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely loved the "slash" thing, it's so moe (in Erika's own way). Anyway, I'm starting to suspect Yuu, but I'll let everything flow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I managed to rejoin them in time just in time" --> them just in time
    "When did Hitomi left the gym?" --> did Hitomi leave
    "You're theory" --> Your
    "Why should I even believe to what Hibari said" --> believe what
    "Is Hibari a plausible murder?" --> murderer


    If I remember correctly nobody in the school should know about the fact that the victim was "hammered" first before being killed. If that's right, wasn't Sumomo's guess a little too fast and precise? After all it could have been a brick, baseball bat, crow bar, steel pipe, bucket full of fish, anything at all. So either I remember it wrong, it was a coincident lucky guess by her, or she already knew it by some means, for example by having done it herself... (or it could be that I'm just biased because she is my primary murder suspect).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah by the way Deayoh, I never had the chance to thank you for noticing me about these errors. I do appreciate that. I still make a lot of them...

    And... I promised I wouldn't interfere with people's reasonings... ugh... let's see if someone has something to say about that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the problem is that it was Erika that told Sumomo about the hammer in chapter 2...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to be able to help! Errors just happen when writing quickly, and i would rather have new chapters coming fast rather than error-free, so don't mind them too much ;)

    Regarding Erika and Sumomo: that's correct, I completely forgot she mentioned it when they talked on the roof. How unprofessional of Erika to let inside info slip just like that... Satsukawa would surely scold her had he been present. But then again perhaps she had a good reason for it, like wanting to see the effect that increasing psychological pressure induced by accurately describing the murder scene would have on the culprit or something. Or she just doesn't care because she thinks she will find the culprit anyway, and will do it without relying on a cheap trick like "you could not possibly have known it was a hammer, therefore you are the culprit!". Great, now I notice I'm rambling again... I'll just stop here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erikaaa-saaaan please be careful!

    ReplyDelete